Love is for certain the most sought after emotion. It makes us feel heavenly. However, sometimes things are not what they appear. Sometimes, the person that we once thought that the sun rose and set upon turns out to be a nightmare particularly when errors in his ways create hurt and damage that are hard to overcome. By no means am I endorsing or promoting walking away. This is not painting a pessimistic view, but a realistic one when trouble arrives. If your relationship cannot be salvaged, an unfortunate end may be the only recourse. Thus, we ask a few pertinent questions. What happens when love doesn’t work out? What happens when our emotional health and well being dictate that we end what once made us feel great? When and if a breakup is the only way out, it should be done with dignity and respect. Fairness and thoughtfulness for your mate’s feelings are critical. Breakups are tough. We never want to hurt the other person’s feeling even if they have hurt ours. If a breakup is necessary, let’s turn to the experts to see how to respectfully, compassionately, and may I add lovingly tell our mate that it is over.
As we continue our “How To” series, let’s examine what our experts say about breakups. Here we go.
How to Break Up:
1. Think over what you want and why you want it. Take time to consider your feelings and the reasons for your decision. …
2. Think about what you’ll say and how the other person might react. …
3. Have good intentions. …
4. Be honest — but not brutal. …
5. Say it in person. …
6. If it helps, confide in someone you trust.
Additional thoughts to the breakup process include:
1. Make sure that you are 100% positive that you want to break up with him.
2. Don’t ask for a break. It is the same as breaking up, but with a time variance.
3. Choose an appropriate time and place to break up with him.
4. Break up with him in person.
5. Be honest.
6. Give him space.
So if our relationship does come to an end and if our once Knight in Shining Armor was the wrong match for us, we can walk away knowing that at least our breakup tactics were right!
Photo credit: You Tube: Ashlee Brown; Sources: www.wikihow.com; www.kidshealth.org