“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything” is one of those guiding light, inspirational, and motivational expressions. Its origin is attributed to Alexander Hamilton and popularized by actress Irene Dunne and clergyman Peter Marshall.
As for me, I first heard it from Miss Phoebe, my Mother. She used it constantly to influence, mold, and shape my thinking and my actions. It worked! Now, it’s generational. I repeated it to my son and daughter. It is so much easier to reach back and grab old fashioned knowledge that works and pass it along; rather than come up with something new. Why reinvent the wheel?
The impact of what we see, hear, and observe has phenomenal influences. It’s important to keep our minds on positivity. I keep motivational thoughts and wise sayings in close reach and read them often; sometimes a loud. Try these on for size.
* Think. Formulate Ideas. Try. Do. Do Again. And Again. Keep On Doing … which = Success.
* Never apologize for having high standards. People who want to be in your
life will rise up to meet them.
* You’ve got to be your own man; not a puppet on someone else’s string.
* Never compromise what’s right. Uphold your family’s name and yours.
* Today’s mighty oak is yesterday’s nut that held its ground.
* You’re lost if you’ve gone to look for yourself.
* Strong people don’t put others down. They lift them up.
* Be on guard. Stand firm in your faith. Be courageous. Be strong.
(I Corinthians 16:33).
* Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. (Oscar Wilde).
* If you don’t understand my silence, how will you understand my words.
* Stand up. Stand tall. Be counted.
* Respect yourself. If you don’t, don’t expect others to.
* Small deeds done are better than big deeds planned. (Peter Marshall).
* There is only one way to avoid criticism. Do nothing. Say nothing. Be
* You will never influence the world by trying to be like it.
What do you stand for? Shhh. Don’t answer me. Let your response speak for itself. Let it be your guiding light. Let it motivate you to higher horizons.
Photo credit: pininterest.com