July 13, 2014 is Grandparents United for Autism Day. As a proud grandmother of an adorable 14 year old grandson who has autism, I would like to share with you a note from Jan Springer. She writes in her article, “Five Tips for Grandparents of a Child with Autism,” words that were very encouraging to me. I share them with you.
1. Expect the unexpected – Be prepared.
2. Change what you can and let the rest go (aka using the Serenity Prayer).
3. Savor the moments and make memories.
4. Learn to love the quirks; work with them and use them.
5. Be reliable and available, when possible.
I urge my followers in the Cleveland, Ohio area to Walk for Autism on September 14th. Get involved in Cleveland and your respective communities. Autism speaks. It’s time to listen! Happy Sunday.
Photo reprint: www.autismspeaks.org