When I think of personal finances, I am reminded of the words that many working women in Mississippi as they picked cotton … would say, “Child, I’m just trying to make ends meet; to get by.” Honestly, those words meant nothing to me as a child, but their meaning became clearer as the years went by.
Just what does this expression mean, “To make ends meet.”
I’m glad you asked.
Here’s the dictionary versions:
* To manage so that one’s financial means are enough for one’s needs. The ends, it is assumed, alludes to the sum total of income and expenditures.
* To have just enough to pay for the things you need.
* To have enough money to cover expenses; to get by financially; to get through the pay period (sufficient to meet the next payday).
Defining it was just a matter of strolling my fingers to a dictionary, living with it – well that’s another thing. It’s a daily struggle for many. The upside is this – there is hope. Those same old women who told me about making ends meet, also told me that, “hard times don’t last always.”
I share with you a few other inspiring and motivational quotes that will move you to act; to change your condition; to move you from point A to point Z. Here we go.
* God first. Family second. Career third. With life in that order, everything works out.
* Every man’s the same; he wants the sunshine in his name.
* If you change nothing; nothing will change.
* Just when you think you can make ends meet, somebody moved the ends.
* Don’t let your struggles become your identity.
* Keep the faith, hold on. Things will get better. It may be stormy now, but it can’t rain forever.
* People aren’t always going to be there for you. You have to learn to handle
things on your own.
* You create your own opportunities.
* Without faith, nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
* Don’t count the days. Make the days count.
* Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pockets.
So what do you do? How do you change your condition? You must “keep on a climbing because life ain’t no crystal stairs!”
Photo credit: www.quotesthat.blogspot.com