As you probably recall, I love watching award shows and this young man that we call Drake – recently broke a 32-year record for the most American Music Awards (2016) nominations with 13 nods, beating Michael Jackson’s previous high mark of 11 from 1984. He won four.
To set the record straight, I have never purchased a rap album/cd and I did not buy Drake’s platinum “Hotline Bling” track.
And no, I am not running around singing Drake’s suggestive lyrics, “Call me on my cell phone.”
However, I love quotable quotes and his are impressive and thought provoking.
I became familiar with Drake in 2010 when riding in Atlanta with my daughter as she was listening to “I’m Doing Me,” one of his top hits, which was coincidentally the title of my first book.
So I guess you could say that he and I have something in common.
I discounted the knowledge of a newly discovered fact that his Uncle is singer bass guitarist Larry Graham, one of my all time favorites and contemporaries. At 30, Rapper Aubrey Drake Graham is younger than my son and daughter, but he does have a way with words that can capture anyone’s attention; so much so that his work was recently featured on The Today Show.
The segment was a quiz to determine what quotes came from Drake and which from Hallmark Greeting Cards. Incredible depth and comparison, I’ll say!
So here goes 25 of Drake’s top motivational quotes:
1. “Never let success get to your head and failure to your heart.”
2. “Kill them with success and bury them with a smile.”
3. “Haters will broadcast your failures, but whisper your success.”
4. “People will wish you all the success in the world and then hate you when you get it.”
5. “Jealousy is just love and hate at the same time.”
6. “Judge me, and you’ll have no time left to love me.”
7. “It’s never too late to realize what you want in your life and it’s never wrong to fight for it.”
8. “You know its real when you are who you think you are.”
9. “Smile and let everyone know that today, you’re a lot stronger than you were yesterday.”
10. “Strength isn’t always shown in what you can hold on to, sometimes it’s shown in what you can let go of.”
11. “I’m not confrontational, but if someone challenges, I’m not going to back down.”
12. “Always felt like my vision has been bigger than the bigger picture.”
13. “Everybody dies but not everybody lives.”
14. “The moment I stop having fun with it, I’ll be done with it.”
15. “Sometimes it’s the journey that teaches you a lot about the destination.”
16. “Know life is just a game in which the cards are facing down. I’m in the world where things are taken, never given; how long they choose to love you will never be your decision.”
17. “I was born to make mistakes, not to fake perfection.”
18. “Life can always change, you have to adjust.”
19. “Pain makes you stronger. Fear makes you braver. Heartbreak makes you wiser.”
20. “Count your blessings, not problems.”
21. “Everybody has an addiction, mine happens to be success.”
22. “I’m trying to do better than good enough.”
23. “Before you give up, think of the reason you held on so long.”
24. “When writing the story of your life, don’t let anyone else hold the pen.”
25. “When you look ahead and darkness is all you see, that’s when your faith and determination will pull you through.”
Without question, the above quotes as his lyrics embrace wisdom. I intend to use a few of Drake’s quotes from time to time.
All I can say to Drake is that you definitely know how to bring the message home even to a woman old enough to be your Mother!
I am aware that you are known to make many extemporaneous moves.
So … My dear, if you care to call me on my cell phone, do know that generally I take all of my calls! Certainly, yours would be my pleasure!
Photo credit: www.pininterest.com