Sometimes, it cannot always be business as usual.
Change is necessary to foster progress. For many, change poses a reluctance. Why upset the apple cart?
However, change is imperative in many situations, which brings me to one of my favorite management cliches: Thinking outside the box.
“Thinking outside the box is a metaphor that means to think differently, unconventionally, or from a new perspective.
It refers to novel or creative thinking. Originating in the 1970s and 1980s, this expression poses a challenge to solve the so-called “nine dots” puzzle, whose solution requires some lateral thinking. To think outside the box is to look further and to try not thinking of the obvious things, but to try thinking of the things beyond them.”
To do so may require a paradigm shift in our thought processes and our methodology to problem solving.
In that light, I share with you many wise sayings that will if no more encourage critical thinking.
* When nothing goes right … Go left.
* “Instead of thinking outside the box, get rid of the box.” (Deepak Chopra)
* Thinking is not enough, you have to act.
* The 6 thinking hats are: Thinking About Thinking; Data/Info; Creative Thinking; Benefits/Value/Logic; Critical Thinking; Feelings/Intuition, Hunches, Emotions.
* “Being able to think outside the box presupposes you were able to think in it.” (Bob Lutz).
* To live a creative life, we must loose our fear of being wrong.
* “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.” (Albert Einstein).
As for me, I occasionally think out loud. Yes, I have been known to put on my thinking hat.
It is imperative to move our agenda forward which means that we must step out the box … as needed.
If To “Vernalize” this point, I share with you one of my personal mottos: “If it is to be, it is left up to me.”
Today is a national holiday in the Lee Family. It is my youngest, Phoebe’s birthday. She definitely thinks out of the box and will move the box if it gets in her way. A very family centered, driven, and spiritual daughter, may God bless you for you all you unselfishly do! Happy Birthday!
Photo credit: www.careerstrategyroadmap.com; Source: Wikipedia